Friday 8 January 2016

How to cope with homesickness


I've been away from my family now for 6 long months. 

And sometimes it gets really hard to stay away from them.

Travelling is amazing and exploring new cities is something that will remain with me for so long but I've had to deal with homesickness for far too long. Over the time, I have had to come up with ways to not let my separation overpower me.

So I thought I'd share them with you.

1. With technology these days, you can see your family whenever you want it and no matter where you are. All you need is Wifi and a camera phone. It's important for me to FaceTime my family as regularly as I can. When I see them on my computer, it makes me feel like I am sitting in the living room with them.

2. Take sometime to explore the city. While you are exploring new places and discovering new things, it takes your mind off your homesickness. By appreciating a new place and learning new things, it gives you a reason to be away from your family, which makes it easier to accept.

3. Take sometime for yourself. Do the things that make you happy. Read your favourite book, drink a glass of wine, take a bath or listen to music. Whatever your passion is, do it regularly. If you have significant you time, you'll appreciate your time alone.

4. On days you miss your family or friends the most, look through your photos. Just simply seeing them or reminiscing of when the photo was taken will give you joy. When I'm on the Tube or enjoying my coffee, I flick through my Family Album on my phone. It gets me through to the next FaceTime session.

5. And finally, reflect on the reason/s why you decided to travel. By remembering why you chose to travel, it will make you want to keep going.

Be strong and enjoy the places you discover. There is a reason why you wanted to travel, don't let the emotions get in your way.

What are your tips for dealing with homesickness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...